Benefits of VSMA Membership:
- Professional Association: This society is a constituent of the American Association of Medical Assistants, the only association in the world devoted exclusively to the medical assisting profession.
- Networking Opportunities: The VSMA offers opportunities to share ideas and discuss common problems. Expert advice is only an email or phone call away. This is also an excellent way to keep current on the job market in your area
- Stay in the Loop: The VSMA can be a resource for information on medical assisting. The latest information and changes in policy and procedure for CMA (AAMA) s is posted to the website and the AAMA website can be accessed via the VSMA site. Be knowledgeable about changes in education and recertification requirements. The answer is only a click away
- Public Policy: The VSMA has a Public Policy liaison that monitors upcoming or proposed legislation in Virginia as well as Federal legislation that could affect the Medical Assistant’s Right to Practice. As a member of the VSMA, you have the AAMA legal counsel at your disposal to advise on the scope of practice issues
- Continuing Education: VSMA offers CEUs in the spring at the annual meeting and in the fall at an educational seminar. Generally, the total amount of CEUs for each meeting is eight or more. The topics are varied and cover administrative, clinical and general areas. Other opportunities offered through insurance carriers, etc. is emailed by the VSMA insurance liaison to members. Some of these carrier meetings, such as Anthem’s offer CEU’s for CMA (AAMA) s
- Other benefits: As a member of the VSMA, you are eligible to obtain professional insurance at a discounted price through AAMA. Renewing Active or Associate members automatically receive a $1000.00 Accidental Death Policy. There are also discounts on credit cards, car rental, etc
- Standards: Most importantly, you will be associated with an association that sets the standards in professionalism, education and growth